This page is for plumbing contractors. If you’re looking for a plumber or information on residential plumbing permits for homeowners 和 contractors, 请 点击这里.
What are some health 和 safety issues for plumbers?
水管工 work in a variety of settings, some of which may contain hazards. The main occupational hazards for plumbers to be aware of include:
- 暴露在 hazardous 物质 such as: 引领, 二氧化硫, 石棉, 模具, adhesives, solvents, solder, other 有毒 or 致癌 物质.
- 接近 易燃或可燃 材料.
- 暴露在 生物危害 including raw sewage when working on sewage pipes or septic tank outlets, or when laying new pipe in soil.
- Potential infection from bird or rodent droppings:
- 工作在 尴尬的有什么正规的赌博软件，或执行 笨拙的手工任务 which increases the risk of musculoskeletal injuries.
- 提升 笨重或笨拙的物品.
- 暴露在 电, 极端温度, or 噪音.
- 工作在 密闭空间.
- 在高处工作.g., on 平台/脚手架 or 梯子).
- 的风险 眼睛受伤 从飞沫中.
- 滑倒、绊倒和跌倒, especially when working in wet environments.
- Burns from hot equipment parts, steam lines, the release of hot water or steam.
- 处理 various tools (both 手工具 和 动力工具).
- 轮班工作 or 延长工作日.
What are some good work practices for plumbers?
- Get training on the potential hazards at the jobs sites where you are assigned.
- 了解化学危害， WHMIS 和 化学物质.
- 使用 材料安全数据表 (化学物质) to learn about the chemical properties, 健康危害, required personal protective equipment (PPE) that you will need.
- 知道如何 报告危险.
- If you will be working with specific 物质 – such as 引领, 石棉 or mould – follow the required work practices for the province in which you are working.
- 遵循 a recommended shift work pattern, know the associated hazards.
- Practice safety procedures for:
Health effects of exposure to sewage 和 contaminated soil include:
- Tetanus – caused by a toxin produced by bacteria common in soil 和 sewage.
- Leptospirosis – caused by a parasitic worm.
- 肝炎 A, B或C.
- 细菌，比如 E. 杆菌 , parasites such as giardia 和 cryptosporidium.
Human pathogens from soil 和 raw sewage can enter the body through the nose or mouth, particularly if a person drinks contaminated water or by touching contamination 和 then touching your mouth or nose. Exposure can also occur through open wounds or by inhaling (human pathogens in dust, for example).
- Avoid exposure to sewage by wearing gloves, 工作服, 橡胶靴, 保护眼睛, 洗手, decontaminating your equipment after use.
- Do not eat or drink while working in a potentially contaminated area. 饭前洗手.
- After working with raw sewage or soil, wash immediately with antibacterial soap 和 water. Do not use solvents to wash your h和s as the solvents can cause irritation that may 引领 to skin infections.
- Change out of work clothes before leaving the work site. If any sewage has gotten onto your clothes, change them right away. Soiled work clothes should be sealed in a plastic bag 和 laundered separately from other clothing. Wash your h和s thoroughly after h和ling the clothing.
- 使用 fall protection 和 other precautions when working at heights.
- 使用 保护眼睛 when cutting or grinding to avoid eye injuries 从飞沫中.
- 使用 appropriate personal protective equipment for the task (e.g. hard hats, 保护眼睛, face protection).
- 穿合适的 鞋子 (sturdy shoe with a protective toe box 和 a non-slip sole)
- 如果在热管上工作, use heat-insulating gloves 和 eye/face shields 和 make sure to drain pipes before you open them.
- 避免触电, only use 电动工具 that are safe for a wet environment 和 that have a ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI). Be cautious when working on metal pipes – if you feel tingling when touching a metal pipe, 立即停止工作.
- Install 和 maintain good ventilation.
- Avoid awkward body positions 和 repetitive manual tasks, or take frequent breaks. Try to rotate your tasks 和 take a quick break every 30 minutes.
- Keep tools 和 equipment, their safety features, in good working order.
- Keep cutting equipment sharp so they will work properly. Cut away from your face 和 body to avoid cuts 和 punctures.
- Keep work areas clear of clutter 和 equipment. 的地方, 堆栈, or store 材料 和 equipment so they will not cause injury to yourself or other workers.
- 遵循 好管家 procedures – clean up spills quickly; empty waste containers often; discard oily rags 和 other flammable waste 材料 safely.